Category: Uncategorized

Feud between Bale and Adam intensifies

Tottenham’s Gareth Bale has refused to comment on Liverpool midfielder Charlie Adam after the two clashed in Saturday’s pre season friendly Baltimore.

The players have a history as it was Adam who prematurely ended the Welshman’s 2010-11 season following a reckless lunge which saw Bale injured for three months.

A second aggressive challenge by Scotsman Adam in Saturday’s exhibition resulted in Bale again being stretchered off; once again concerned that injury could keep him out of action for an extended period.

Following that challenge, which Bale considered a deliberate attempt to cause injury, the Welsh winger branded Adam “a bit of a coward”, saying “I was surprised to see a challenge like that in a friendly. We’re all over here to build our fitness and get a good workout and what he did was over the top, to be honest. But some people are like that and it’s just wrong.”

These comments sparked a war of words with Adam and his representatives, with Kenny Moyes, agent of the former Blackpool man, responding angrily to the quotes:

“Everyone in football knows he has no malice or anything like that in him. For someone to have a go like that is outrageous. It was schoolboyish for them to come out and say that”

It would seem that Bale is keen to move on from the incident, but is not yet ready to forgive and forget. He was asked about Adam during a press conference following his side’s most recent game of their American tour, to which he responded:

“People like that are not worth commenting on, to be honest. He knows what he’s done wrong himself, so we’ll just leave it.”

It is unclear whether or not these comments will draw a line under this particular spat, but Tottenham will be relieved that their star man has not been badly injured as first feared and should be fully fit for the start of the new season.

BALE SHOCED BY BECKS OMISSION

Tottenham midfielder Gareth Bale has said that he is extremely surprised that former Manchester United, Real Madrid and AC Milan midfielder David Beckham was left out of the Team GB squad for the Olympics. The 35-year-old former England international has previously stated that it would be a dream come true if he was to represent the team GB at the London Olympics 2012. However, he was left out of the squad by manager Stuart Pearce. This has surprised a lot including Welsh star Gareth Bale, who has said that he is extremely surprised that David Beckham will not be part of the London Olympics.

The LA Galaxy midfielder is coming to the end of his stellar career during which he has achieved a lot of honours. However, it would have been the pinnacle in an extraordinary career if he was playing at the London Olympics 2012. Each team is allowed to select three players over the age of 23. Gareth Bale himself has said that he is extremely disappointed not to take part in the competition. He was ruled out prior to the start of the tournament after suffering a back injury. He was expected to be one of the first picks for the competition.

“I was very surprised. I think he’s done a lot to get the Olympics to London. But, after that he’s a great player, he’s been playing well for LA Galaxy, and I think pretty much the whole nation’s a bit disappointed he wasn’t in the team. It’ll be an amazing experience to have it in our home city, and hopefully I’ll be able to go and watch one or two events and it’ll be very exciting,” said Gareth Bale. He was linked with a £ 50 million move to Barcelona in the summer, but he recently committed to a four-year deal with Tottenham.

FUTURE IN DOUBT

Gareth Bale’s Tottenham future has been thrown into doubt after he admitted that he will be holding talks with the club officials soon after returning from holiday. Gareth Bale has also said that he will be seeking assurances from the club that they will continue to challenge for the top four.

Tottenham finished in the top four this season, but they were denied a spot in the group stages of the Champions League next season after Chelsea’s win over Bayern Munich in the final of the competition. Tottenham had many opportunities to finish in the top three, which would have given them the chance to compete in the group stages of the Champions League.

However, poor form in the last few months of the campaign meant that Arsenal pipped them to the third position. Gareth Bale said a few months ago that he wanted to play in the Champions League because it meant a lot to him after having tasted the same with Tottenham a few seasons ago. Now that Tottenham have missed out on the Champions League, speculation has been rife that Gareth Bale will be subject to transfer interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid. Manchester City are also interested in the Welsh winger and are prepared to pay up to £ 45 million for his services.

Gareth Bale is on a contract worth around £ 30,000 per week, which is one of the lowest in the Premier league. Manchester City will be willing to offer up to £ 150,000 per week. In order to compete against such huge sums, Tottenham will need the lure of Champions League football. Since they do not have it at the moment, the club are willing to offer up to £ 80,000 per week for Gareth Bale to stay at White Hart Lane.

MODRIC FIGHT BACK ON

Tottenham faced a huge fight last season with Chelsea in order to keep hold of their star midfielder Luka Modric. Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has acknowledged the fact that it will be once again a fight for the Croatian in the summer. The 26-year-old has been in imperious form for Tottenham this season, and has been one of the reasons for them to be challenging at the top four. However, Redknapp reckons that Tottenham may have to sell either Luka Modric or Gareth Bale if they fail to qualify for the Champions League next season. Tottenham, Newcastle, Arsenal, and Chelsea are the teams involved in the race for the top four.

Even finishing in the top four will not guarantee Champions League football next season given that the teams will have to play a play-off round against a very strong team from either Italy or Spain. Yet, finishing in the top four is seen as the way to hold the stars according to Harry Redknapp. After suffering a serious dip in form, Tottenham have slipped into the fifth position in the league. At one stage, they had a 10 point advantage over Arsenal and were in the third position.

“When they came to the club, Tottenham weren’t in the Champions League, and were nowhere near getting in the Champions League. They play for Tottenham. They’re at a great club. There’s no reason they should want to leave. If we don’t make it this year, we’ll try again next year. There’s not too many clubs they could go to better than Tottenham. Gareth Bale and Luka Modric have both signed long-term contracts,” he said. Tottenham will be having matches against Bolton away from home and Villa away from home. Arsenal have a relatively easy fixture list and are the favourites to finish in the third position.

Navigation